Customer Service

Request Service

Please come to our office at 555 7th Avenue Huntington, WV 25701 (M-F 8:30am to 4:30pm) to set up a new service.

Be prepared to provide the following information:

– Valid photo ID
– WV American Water account number
– $65 security deposit
– Your daytime phone number, including area code
– The address where you wish to start service

If you have any questions, please call Customer Service Department at 304-696-5564 (M-F 8:30am to 4:00pm)

Terminate Service

Please call the Customer Service Department at 304-696-5564 (M-F 8:30am- 4pm)

The account will remain in the customer’s name until the Huntington Sanitary Board receives the final meter reading from WV American Water Company. 

When you contact us, please provide 
-Your daytime phone number, including the area code
-The address where you wish to start stop service
-Your HSB account number

Account Adjustment Policy

An adjustment request may only be requested by the customer of record.

Types of Adjustments

West Virginia Water Company adjustment

WVAMC adjusts usage for several reasons including hidden leaks and over read meters. After a customer requests an adjustment from WVAMC, the HSB billing department reviews the monthly meter information from WVAMC and recommends an adjustment if necessary. In cases that the meter information cannot be used, the customer’s monthly use is estimated from the average of previous 6 month period. The HSB does not make public relations adjustments.

Non Sewer Usage Adjustments

Request for an adjustment due to water that is not returned to the sewer including water used for lawn watering, cooling towers and coin laundries. The HSB does not make adjustments for these uses nor does the HSB allow deduct meters to be installed on the water line. A customer may install and maintain a separate water meter at his expense for water used but not returned to the sewer.


The HSB customers are charged a 10% penalty on the current fees when payment is not received by the due date, as permitted by the WV Public Service Commission.


Charges are removed from HSB when the Bankruptcy is discharged by the Bankruptcy Court.

Shut Off Notice for Customers

For customers whose sewer account becomes delinquent, you will receive a termination letter in the mail stating your last day for payment before shut off. Payment must be received prior to 3pm the day of shut off.

Should your water service be terminated, in addition to the delinquent balance, you will be responsible for paying a service charge of $25.00 for the disconnect and $25.00 for the reconnect. If your account does not have the required security deposit of $65.00, it will need to be paid as well at this time. The total amount must be paid prior to your water service being reinstated.

You have the right to challenge the termination if you believe any of the following conditions apply to you:
1. Any portion of the bill is in dispute.
2. You are being charged for service not received.
3. The information reflected on the termination notice concerning your account is incorrect.
4. You are only able to pay installments.
If the reason for your challenge is 1, 2 or 3 you will have to pay the amount not in dispute. If the reason for your challenge is number 4, we will attempt to negotiate a deferred payment contract with you.


If you have any questions please call our office at 304-696-5564.

All payments made within 48 hours of the last payment date and time must be made at 555 7th Avenue, Huntington, WV 25701

If you are not satisfied with our resolution of this matter, you may file an appeal with the PSC. 1-800-642-8544 or Utility Appeal, PSC of WV, PO Box 812, Charleston WV 25323

If you need assistance to pay your bill, you may contact the WV Dept of Human Resources at 304-528-5800 for a referral.

You will receive a courtesy call 36 hours prior to termination of your water service. The HSB has elected to use an automated voice message system to notify customers.

Billing FAQ

  1. If I receive a bill after the termination notice, does the new bill override the termination notice? No, the termination process has already started. The only way to stop the termination is to make the payment or call the office to set up a payment plan.
  2. Can I make a payment online during the termination period? Yes, however, you need to call our offices to confirm the payment. It would be best to come into our office to make the payment at this time to ensure water service is not terminated.
  3. If my water service has been terminated because of non-payment, what must I do to get my water turned back on? You must come to our office at 555 7th Ave to make the payment. You will also be charged a $25 disconnect fee and a $25 reconnect fee and possibly a $65 security deposit if your account does not have one applied.
  4. Why must I pay the $25 disconnect and $25 reconnect fee? West Virginia American Water charges the HSB $20 disconnect and $20 reconnect fee. The other $10 is to help HSB recoup some administration costs for the termination process.
  5. Can my water quality and sanitary bills be combined to one bill? If you are a homeowner, we will be glad to combine both bills onto one. If you are being billed for impervious surface, NO the bills cannot be combined.
  6. If I own multiple properties, can my water quality fee be separated into individual bills? No.