Do you have a question about billing?

Review our Billing Brochure

1. What can we do to help to prevent CSOs?

If your roof gutters are tied into the sewer system then remove them and let the water run into the street, allow the runoff to go through your yard allowing the soil to absorb some of the runoff. And you can install rainbarrels or rain gardens for water conservation.

2. Would removing roof drain spouts help?

Yes. It has been estimated that one gutter can generate up to 15 gallons per minute from an inch of rain!!

3. Is there any way to get funding/grants/or assistance?

Yes. Unfortunately we do not qualify. The federal government will not give any assistance until our sewer rates are at a minimum of 2% of the mean household income (MHI).

4. Who is in charge of getting trash picked up?

The Huntington Sanitary Board is not in charge of trash pickup. The Sanitation Department for the City of Huntington is in charge that service and can be reached at (304) 696-4431.

5. Is there any way to stop new construction from being done if the sewer line is too small to handle the additional flow?

Yes. If the current sewer line to too small to handle the added flow the HSB will not issue a sewer tap thus preventing approval for construction loans.

6. Who do we call when there is storm water in the streets because a catch basin is blocked?

Call the HSB at 304-696-4437 to report your problem. Please have an address or the nearest intersection available. A field supervisor will inspect the problem and dispatch a crew for repairs.

7. What do I do as a homeowner when I have a sewer problem?

Call the HSB to report your problem. A field supervisor will inspect the sewer that serves your home. You will receive a call from the Sanitary Board to inform you if the problem is a main sewer line or is in your house line.

8. What is my responsibility as a homeowner?

The HSB is responsible for the portion of the sewer from your property line to and including the main sewer. The homeowner is responsible for all inside plumbing and the outside line to the edge of your property.

9. How do I get in touch with the HSB to report my problem?

The HSB has a 24 hour 7 day response program. You will need to call (304) 696-4437 to report any problem. This person will relay your information to a field crew supervisor who will return your call and set forth the needed response.

10. Can the HSB recommend a plumber if the problem is found to be on my property?

No. The Sanitary Board cannot recommend any single plumbing company to fix your problem. We as a rule suggest that you talk to a friend or neighbour that has had plumbing work done and was satisfied with the work performed. If that is not possible check the phone book and look for a company that you have heard of or have had a long history in the plumbing business.

11. I have a sewer easement that runs through my property and I want to know can I use the section of my yard?

Yes, but there are things that you should not put on easements or right-of-ways. You should not build permanent structures on this property because if a sewer line on the easement needs to be repaired or replaced you will be responsible to remove this structure at your cost. Things you can place on easements without much problems are things like fences, play set, portable outbuildings that you can move if required to allow the sewer repair to be made. Keep in mind that whatever needs to be moved is at your cost.

12.Do we require the Hepatitis shots?

Yes. HSB requires and provides all full-time and part-time employees with the Hepatitis B shots. The HSB does not require full-time or part-time employees the Hepatitis A shots.

13. What do we do when we have a power outage?

The Huntington Sanitary Board Wastewater Treatment Plant is equipped with two separate power services furnished by AEP. The power lines enter a primary substation from two utility poles. If a power failure should occur in service 1, power will be supplied through service 2 so the treatment processes will not be affected.

14. Do we treat for pH?

No. The HSB continuously monitors pH and has a State required limit between 6 and 9 S.U. on discharged water to the Ohio River. The HSB does impose pH limits on all Industrial Users to protect plant processes.

15. Can you tell me about the new billing conversion?

Yes — we have an entire page devoted to questions and answers about the billing. It also has a link to an example of the bill. Click here to reach that material.

16. When do I get my deposit back?

It depends if you are a homeowner or a renter. If you own, you have to make 12 consecutive months of on time payments without any late penalty. If you have a late penalty applied to your account, the 12 month calculation starts over. When your 12 consecutive months have been completed your deposit will be returned. If you rent, your deposit will be returned once you move out and your final bill has been paid.